I have devoted my entire career to body image care for cancer survivors.
Through my work in academic medicine, I identified best practices and principles of body image care for patients with cancer that is rooted in empirical research and spans across professional disciplines.
I founded Fingeret Psychology Services in 2017, and have over 17 years of experience as a psychologist specializing in body image and cancer.
During my 10 years as a faculty member at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer, I developed the only program of its kind in the United States focused on addressing body image issues for cancer patients through a combination of research, patient care activities, and educational activities.
I helped to create the first and only academic textbook on best practices and models of body image treatment in the oncology setting. Body Image Care for Cancer Patients: Principles and Practices was written for a multidisciplinary audience of oncology healthcare professionals.
To date, I have published 52 peer-reviewed research articles, and have been the author or co-author on 9 book chapters. I have served as Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator, or consultant on numerous extramural grants from the National Cancer Institute and American Cancer Society. I am a fellow and former President of the American Psychosocial Oncology Society.
Finally, I am a wife and mother of 2 teenage children and reside in Houston, TX with my family. I also lovingly served as a caregiver for my mother when she had her own battle with pancreatic cancer in 2019.
- 2004: Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- 2001: M.S. in Clinical Psychology, Texas A&M University, College Station TX
- 1997: B.A. in Psychology, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- 2017-present: Owner, Fingeret Psychology Services
- 2014-2015: President, American Psychosocial Oncology Society
- 2013-2017: Associate Professor, Behavioral Science, University of Texas MD
Anderson Cancer Center (with joint appointments: Plastic Surgery and Head and Neck Surgery)
- 2007-2013: Assistant Professor, Behavioral Science, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (with joint appointments: Plastic Surgery and Head and Neck Surgery
- 2004-2007: Postdoctoral Fellow, Behavioral Science, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- 2003-2004: Psychology Intern, University of Texas at Houston Health Science Center